The Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) MIMAROPA Region, through some of its Provincial Environmental Management Unit (PEMU) Oriental Mindoro personnel, joined in the collective efforts to rehabilitate and protect Puerto Galera as one of MIMAROPA’s prime eco-tourism destinations.
PEMU Oriental Mindoro personnel attended the Consultative Meeting and Task Force Puerto Galera Meeting conducted on 24 – 25 August 2021 at Hollywood Palm Beach Hotel and Resort, Brgy. San Isidro, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro.
PEMU Oriental Mindoro Chief Ederlita U. Labre, Environmental Management Specialist II Adz Hazen M. Dimapilis, and Information Officer II Mabelle M. Manalo took part as members of the Committee on Environment under the Task Force Puerto Galera.
They attended the said event which started around 9:00 AM on August 24 through an invocation, followed by the singing of the Philippine National Anthem, and an opening remarks from Puerto Galera Municipal Administrator Carmela Magbuhos. After this, Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Officer (PENRO) Mary June F. Maypa of DENR-PENRO Oriental Mindoro delivered her message for the assembly.
After the opening program, PENRO Oriental Mindoro personnel Maria Alva Renelyn A. Culla-Umali presented a Summary Report on the Accomplishments of Task Force Puerto Galera starting calendar year (CY) 2018 up to present.
Committee on Easement Team Leader Leo G. Capon then presented the CY 2021 targets for the conduct of Ground Survey of Easement. Meanwhile, Committee on Lands and Land Tenure Team Leader Delia T. Almarez presented the CY 2021 targets for the conduct of Validation of Land Tenure of Business Establishments/Occupants.
After the said presentations, Committee on Environment Team Leader Ederlita U. Labre presented the CY 2021 targets for the conduct of Inventory of Compliance to Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) and other necessary permits.
During her presentation, Chief Labre discussed the objectives of the Committee on Environment which include the following:
1. To identify the number of business establishments present in barangays San Antonio, Sto. Niño, Sinandigan, Palangan, Villaflor, and Dulangan;
2. To determine the existing environmental permits acquired by the establishments from DENR-EMB; and
3. To determine the compliances of establishments to environmental laws and permit conditions.
Among the permits and clearances to be monitored, according to Chief Labre, are as follows:
• ECC and/or Certificate of Non-Coverage (CNC);
• Permit to Operate (PTO) for Air Pollution Sources Installations;
• Wastewater Discharge Permit (WWDP);
• Hazardous Waste Generator’s ID/DENR ID; and
• Pollution Control Officer (PCO) Accreditation
During the last part of Chief Labre’s presentation, she presented updates on the following:
• Company Registration System (CRS): (https://client.emb.gov.ph/crs/login)
• Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC): (https://ecconline.emb.gov.ph)
• Certificate of Non-Coverage (CNC): (https://cnconline.emb.gov.ph>projectchecker);
• Online Permitting and Monitoring System (OPMS): (https://opms.emb.gov.ph/accounts/login/);
• Hazardous Waste Management System: (https://hwms.emb.gov.ph/login);
• Self-Monitoring Report (SMR): (https://client.emb.gov.ph/smr/login);
• Compliance Monitoring Report (CMR): (https://online.emb.gov.ph/cmr/); and
• Renewal of Pollution Control Officer (PCO) Accreditation
A question-and-answer portion relevant to the rehabilitation and protection of Puerto Galera as one of MIMAROPA’s prime eco-tourism destinations was then held wherein several barangay officials of Puerto Galera raised their questions which were answered by the Task Force Puerto Galera committee members. Later, PENRO Oriental Mindoro personnel For. Esperanza P. Cortez presented the Way Forward Activities of the task force. The meeting ended shortly after.
The second day was allotted for the Task Force Puerto Galera meeting. The event was attended by members of the three committees namely, Committee on Easement, Committee on Lands and Land Tenure, and the Committee on Environment.
During the meeting, each committee created and presented their proposed action plan for the months of September and October. Among the activities of the task force include an information education and communication (IEC) campaign which are scheduled as follows:
• Brgy. San Antonio – September 7, 2021;
• Bgry. Sto. Nino – September 8, 2021;
• Brgy. Palangan – September 15, 2021;
• Brgy. Sinandigan – September 16, 2021;
• Brgy. Dulangan – September 22, 2021; and
• Brgy. Villaflor – September 23, 2021.
The Committee on Environment through Ms. Manalo presented their proposed action plan. Among the activities included in the Committee on Environment’s action plan are the EMB MIMAROPA Region’s participation on the scheduled Stakeholders’ Meeting/IEC Campaign.
Ms. Manalo also mentioned their plan to monitor projects with existing environmental permits issued by DENR-EMB and to conduct survey on the establishments without valid permits. The two (2) other committees later presented their own action plans during the meeting, which officially ended shortly after.